Cenk Uygur (host of The Young Turks) interviews Ramesh Srinivasan. Ramesh is an Associate Professor of Information Studies at UCLA and founding director of the UC Digital Cultures Lab. His research focuses on the relationship between technology, politics, culture, and societies across the world. But today he’s here to talk about his newly released book, “Whose Global Village?: Rethinking How Technology Shapes Our World.” Buy Ramesh’s book here: https://www.amazon.com/Whose-Global-V…
Follow Ramesh Srinivasan on Twitter: https://twitter.com/rameshmedia
Silicon Valley has designed algorithms to reflect your biases, not disrupt them
Follow Cenk Uygur on Twitter: https://twitter.com/cenkuygur
– Holds an engineering degree from Stanford, a Ph.D. in Design Studies from Harvard, a Masters of Science in Media Arts and Sciences from MIT, and a B.S. in Industrial Engineering from Stanford.
– He founded the UC-wide Digital Cultures Lab
– He and his work have appeared in/on the Washington Post, HuffPost Al Jazeera English, NPR and Public Radio International
– Has collaborated with non-literate tribal populations in India to study how literacy emerges through uses of technology, and traditional Native American communities to study how non-Western understandings of the world can introduce new ways of looking at the future of the internet.
– His research has spanned such bounds as Native Americans, Somali refugees, Indian villages, Aboriginal Australia, and Maori New Zealand
– Has worked with bloggers who overthrew the authoritarian Kyrgyz regime
– Has been awarded two grants from the National Science Foundation in the Science, Technology, and Society division, as well as an Institute of Museum and Library Services National Leadership Grant
– His book, Whose Global Village?: Rethinking How Technology Shapes Our World was released on February 27th.
– His next book is titled “After the Internet”
– This is his fourth appearance on TYT Interviews and his fifth on TYT
Like this interview? Enough that you want to throw a little Bitcoin our way? Great! Do it here: https://www.coinbase.com/TYT
For more interviews, subscribe TYT Interviews: https://www.youtube.com/tytinterviews